Monday, June 25, 2012

Mellow Monday


Hey everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend. I'm completely exhausted today. Yesterday was a really long day at work and I ended up getting home at 1. I didn't fall asleep until 2 and I woke up at 7 for work this morning. I luckily had a short day today because I am so exhausted I can barely focus. I'm hoping to take a nap before I have my training session tonight.

I've been to lazy to take photos of my food today so I figured I'd show you some of my favorite shots from yesterday. As an assistant I have the freedom to play and experiment because I guess technically my photos are a bonus for the bride and groom. If something doesn't come out it's not make or break for the job. Yesterday my focus was on lighting because they had amazing lighting in the sanctuary and the reception room. Flash can often wash out uplighting so you need to really understand your settings in order to capture the ambiance of the room. My goal was to get some great natural light ceremony shots (achieved with a high ISO and video light) and to maintain the ambiance of the room with flash during the reception.


The sanctuary was really beautiful with gorgeous carvings and wood. It was elaborately decorated with flowers and trees (the chupah) and pretty lighting. This was shot with natural light with the help of a video light.


I went up to the balcony to get this shot looking down. You can see the chupah better in this shot. Huge bridal party!


This shot is my favorite of the night! They had someone playing percussion along with the DJ. I got this silhouette of him and I love it :)


You can really see the uplighting of the reception room in this one. Lots of purple!

The sanctuary and downstairs looked like a traditional, beautiful temple. The reception area upstairs had a lounge feel too it with a red hallway and some beautiful murals. The cocktail room looked like a club/lounge with big couches and chairs and the reception space was nicer that some of the catering halls I've been to! By far the coolest temple I've ever been to!

We were in Coney Island to start the day and that was rough. It was hot and we were running around and everything was late and parking was a nightmare. Traffic was crazy too. I'm glad the weekend is over and I'm ready for my well deserved nap ;)

I hope you all had a great weekend!

14 comments:

  1. Looks like a very pretty wedding. Hope you get more sleep tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a pretty wedding. Very extravagant though. Thanks, I'm hoping so too!

      Delete
  2. hey Sarah! what a gorgeous looking wedding! wow! The decorations were really pretty -- i love those flowers! Thats a great shot of them kissing behind the cake -- you've got a great eye! i hope you can take a nap today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Caralyn! Yeah she did a great job planning it. I felt like I was in a forest lol! Thanks! No nap but I"m sure I'll sleep tonight!

      Delete
  3. Who cares about the photos -- that cake must've cost $1000s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! The cake was really pretty but not too much of a departure of what i've seen in the past. You could smell the sugar within 10 feet of it though!

      Delete
  4. Wow, Sarah, gorgeous captures! The lighting really translates well.

    I agree with Shen- it must have been a pricey wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly! Yeah I'm sure they spent a lot. At least it was worth it for them.

      Delete
  5. I think your job sounds like so much fun! Being able to take creative shots without any pressure, and you are so talented. Really lovely! I love when you share shots from your work. :)

    I hope your training session went well, and that you have a restful night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks :) It can be fun but most of the time I'm just a pack mule ;) Aww thank you that is so sweet! There are some days that I'm really inspired and try extra hard and experiment more and I think the location was inspiring to me as well. I'm glad you liked them!

      Thanks! We did some neck strengthening and stretching with was good. I slept so much it was great! Have a great day!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos Sarah! And wow... that wedding looks very decorative. I'm surrounded by such DIY-ers that I forget that people actually go all out for the big day! Hope you get some rest tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nikki! They did a great job planning this wedding, and being on Long Island I've seen some elaborate affairs. I'm personally a fan of DIY and personal touches. I think that's what makes your wedding YOUR wedding. I personally am not a big party person and I love backyard weddings. I find them more intimate and personal and laid back :)

      Thanks, I definitely did!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful shots! I love the one of the DJ!

    Hope you get some sleep tonight! Don't push yourself too hard in training!

    Gabby @ the veggie nook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Gabby! Haha of course you'd like the DJ shot because it's my favorite too ;) We really are riding the same wave!

      Definitely got lots of sleep and the training session was mellow thankfully! Have a great day!

      Delete