Wednesday, May 18, 2011

This is what I eat...

...in a full day.  This post will be a slight departure from my typical minimal text format but I figured that it would be a good idea to post a full day's worth of meals.  This post is everything that I put in my mouth today, and it will hopefully answer all of the questions that vegans are asked all the time (such as "where do you get your protein?").  It'll also hopefully show that vegans DO eat a balanced, healthy diet.

Check it!


Breakfast: Bowl of oats containing gluten free oats, cinnamon, ground flax seeds and a banana.  Oats and flax are a great source of fiber and protein and flax is an excellent source of omegas.  Bananas have a lot of potassium...lots of nutritional bang for my breakfast buck.


Coffee: every day, no exceptions.


Midmorning snack: 1 cup fresh berries (high in antioxidants)


Lunch: Brown rice and kidney beans (combined form a complete protein) with broccoli (high in vitamins, fiber, calcium and magnesium), spinach (high in iron), salsa, and later topped with avocado (contains 25 vitamins and minerals as well as an excellent source of healthy fats).


Dinner: Chopped salad with greens, cucumber, carrots, chickpeas (protein), and sun-dried tomatoes.  Multiple servings of veggies packed with vitamins and minerals as well as a serving of protein.

I hope this helps answer questions of what vegans eat on a daily basis and what a typical day looks like.  When I have a training session there is a protein shake in between lunch and dinner which consists of  1 cup almond milk plus one scoop pea protein isolate and 1 tablespoon brown rice protein isolate (the two combined create the complete amino acid profile necessary for muscle recovery).  It is definitely possible to eat a balanced, nutritious vegan diet...it definitely takes time and effort, but that is always necessary in a healthy diet :)

Thanks for reading!!







3 comments:

  1. Oh, the post title matches the blog name. The curtains match the carpet!

    I could possibly eat like this on a semi-daily basis. I'll try to work towards it next week. I will need to add some sugar, alcohol and bread tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Omg that is hilarious :)

    Yes of course most people eat and drink these things in moderation. I don't eat bread/wheat because of a suspected intolerance and I'm transitioning into hardcore training mode so I've been working out quite a bit and I notice my performance is better when I cut added sugars. It is quite easy to eat healthy. I am not gonna lie, I miss my seitan (which isn't unhealthy but it makes me sick sadly) but I enjoy every meal I eat :) Eat some bread for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to ask a dumb question, but what are you training for? A marathon? Triathlon? Olympics?

    ReplyDelete