Sunday, August 28, 2011

Irene Aftermath and a Random Meal

Hey everyone, thank you so much for your concerned. I'm kind of shocked I just got my power back already and feel incredibly lucky to have gotten through this with little interruption and damage. I just read about Shen's experience and we had the exact opposite, very little rain and LOTS of crazy wind.  Trees down and some damage to the neighborhood, but I didn't experience anything personally except a few branches from a tree came down.

In the hours after the craziness everyone in the neighborhood was out surveying the damage.  I guess it gave us something to do while waiting for the power to come back.  I took a bunch of pics to show you.


About 100 feet from my house a tree was uprooted and leaning on this house. So scary!


Front view


Huge part of tree in the middle of the street a block down from that first uprooted tree (2 blocks from my house)




Down the block from the first house with the leaning tree, this tree completely fell over and took out the power lines.


Same tree as above, you can see why we have no power. I'm at my bro's house with the animals, my parents still have no power.

That's the craziness that happened within a 2 block radius of my house.  I feel incredibly fortunate to have been spared of any significant damage.

And now for a random Irene meal of random stuff I had around...


Watermelon, dolma and snapea crisps. Random but good.

I hope you are all ok!


5 comments:

  1. That looks like a nice neighborhood. Good thing the tree didn't completely crash through the house. Extremely random eats. Anyway, let's get back to normal! I don't like this post-hurricane weirdness. Not my bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack! Haha, yeah, in Brooklyn we just have fewer trees so I guess the damage would have been minimal. Glad the worst was a short lived power outage. I'm with Shen - let's get back to chopped salads and normal weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you came through it ok. It's hard to believe that wind can be so powerful!

    I love those snap pea crisps too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! I agree, things should definitely just go back to normal...the craziness happened, it's over and now life can go on :)

    Shen - the neighborhood is nice, it was really cool how everyone was coming together.

    FF - Glad that you saw minimal damage! It came in much weaker than it was supposed to which is really good for us.

    Rose - Thanks! I know I was watching the trees whip around and branches snap off! Crazy! ANd the snap pea crisps are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear that you are okay and that all you lost was power.
    Your random eats sound good....never had snap pea crisps...they sure do sound good!

    ReplyDelete