Saturday, January 28, 2012

Saturday Eats and Treats!

Hey everyone! Happy Saturday :) I had a crazy morning and afternoon and now I'm just relaxing in my warm pjs under my covers watching fights ALL EVENING leading up to the free fights on Fox tonight. I'm very excited! It is rare that I get to see a main event because I refuse to pay $50 for PPV every few weeks so I always make sure I get to check them out when they do the free events.

I woke up early today and was at the gym by 7:45 am. I got in 45 minutes of cardio then came home, took a quick shower, made my breakfast and finished up my boss' birthday cake.  Today was his birthday and I always make the cake for an office birthday (except mine ha!) and I had such a cute idea for his!  Check it out!


It's a sandwich birthday cake! I made the cake and frosting last night and cut up the strawberries. All I had to do this morning was put it altogether. Prepping everything ahead made all the difference because I knew I would be tight on time.


I decorated it to look like a cream cheese and strawberry sandwich. The cake is Isa's vanilla cake recipe from VCTOTW in the sandwich bread mold and baked for about 55 minutes. The frosting is the basic vanilla frosting from VCTOTW and the fresh strawberries were gorgeous and super sweet. I didn't partake in the cake because it obviously wasn't gluten free but it was definitely a big hit!

So now that you saw what I didn't get to eat, let's check out what I did eat :)


Breakfast was another sludgy looking green smoothie. This one had a small frozen banana, the rest of the strawberries from the cake (about 7?), some Vega chocolate protein powder, a cup of almond milk and a big ol' handful of fresh spinach. It was really good but I almost regret using the strawberries in there because they were so sweet and delicious and fresh but they got lost in the smoothie. Oh well, you live and learn.


I was starving when I got home from work so I made some avocado toast and cut up a HUGE carrot. It was so good.

After lunch I snacked on two stuffed grape leaves and a tbsp of hummus. Sorry no pic!

I went for close ups of my dinner :)


Small chopped salad.


Some veggie soup...from a can unfortunately but sometimes convenience wins. It was still good though!

Hope you had a great Saturday! I'm so tired from the craziness from this morning, I'm definitely looking forward to having tomorrow off! Enjoy your night!

16 comments:

  1. The cake is awesome! So fun. Did you get the sandwich bread mold for Christmas? I love those sort of trompe l'oeil treats - I've seen cupcakes made up to look like bacon and eggs.
    I totally understand about feeling like you lose a fruit in a smoothie sometimes. I feel similarly about making a salad because you buy all these vegetables and each one separately is a lot but mixed together, you only get like 4 meals out of the veggies that are now all gone and can't be used for anything else. Oh well, you got the nutrition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It still makes me laugh when I see the photos :) I've had the sandwich mold for a while, just never used it! I have lots of other sandwich ideas I can make :)

      I'm with ya, you always have big plans for your produce, but seem to go faster than you expect! It is part of the reason I don't think I can juice. I feel like you use A LOT of veggies to get a little juice...I'd rather eat a huge salad!

      Delete
  2. Best. Cake. Ever. I totally thought it was a sandwich from the thumbnail! Another trademark treat for your future business!!

    In terms of your eats, they look so clean and delicious.

    P.S. Awesome workout, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ingrid! I love this pan :) The workout was just cardio but I was just glad I got into the gym. I've been really lazy about going to the gym on non-training days but I feel like I'm getting back in the rhythm of it!

      Delete
  3. The sandwich cake is so clever! I like watching those TV shows where they make cakes look like something non-cakelike (such as a pile of presents or a piano). I love strawberries too, but I usually eat them plain.

    Enjoy your day off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sage! I always get jealous when I watch the cake decorators make amazing, elaborate cakes. I can't do that (I can barely frost a layer cake) and they are so talented! I had the help of a mold to make the sandwich shape :) Have you seen there is a show about a company that makes amazing sculptures and pieces made entirely out of candy?! I LOVE IT! I want to figure out how to do it!

      Delete
  4. That cake is so cute and clever!! Your work mates are lucky to have you on the team; they get professional caliber birthday cakes!! All the food looks vibrant and good, but your salads always look over the top yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose! The salads are always simple but always delicious! That helps make it easier to fulfill my goal of at least one salad a day!

      Delete
  5. That is the cutest cake ever. At first I thought you were giving your coworker a giant sandwich for his birthday and I really wasn't getting it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allysia! ha, you never know, some people actually prefer sandwiches to cakes! At least with this one you get the best of both worlds :)

      Delete
  6. Such an awesome cake! It looks exactly like a sandwich. You're so sweet to have made it for everyone, especially since you didn't have any.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Molly! I know I kind of wish I did have a bite to try it but there is always next time. I'm going to be visiting a friend in Florida in a few weeks and I have a feeling that gluten will be consumed while I'm there :) It doesn't happen often but I make sure I enjoy it when it does!

      Delete
  7. If you hadn't said it was a cake, I'd have assumed it was a sandwich. How interesting! It would've been fun to have another item in the pic to show the scale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's such a great idea, thanks! Next time I use the mold I'll definitely make sure to show scale :)

    ReplyDelete