Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Bikram Yoga - 1, Sarah - 0

Hello friends. I'm going to apologize in advance but I have a feeling this post will be short. I took my first Bikram Yoga class in a year and a half this morning. I expected it to be brutal because that first class always is... but this morning was the worst I've ever felt it. The room was 107.6 degrees when I walked in. I had to sit out a few sets because of severe dizziness and nausea. I walked out with a pounding headache, bad nausea, more dizziness and feeling 100% drained of energy. I felt like shit basically. Oh and to top it off, my shoulders were super fatigued and my left arm hurt.

I came home and obviously jumped in the shower immediately. I feel like I sweated out 90% of the water in my body so the shower felt good. Then I got into bed and literally could not lift my head off the pillow for an hour. It was horrible. I know from past experience it does get better but at this point I don't have time to feel this shitty. The next time I can get to a class is Friday before my first of 3 weddings this weekend. There is no way I can risk feeling like this on Friday! They just started Vinyasa yoga classes there so I'm thinking about trying that instead.

The goal for today was hydration hydration hydration! I drank a ton of water and whatever food I could get down was hydrating, clean, and high alkaline. Yes, I'm aware it isn't much but it's more than I thought I'd get down!


Those of you that may have taken a Bikram Yoga class know that one of the top rules is DON'T EAT BEFORE CLASS! I'm glad I didn't, I can't imagine how much worse it would have been! I made this smoothie before the class and kept it in the fridge so it would be ready as soon as I got home since it was a bit late for breakfast (I drank it at 11:15am). I focused on getting hydrated and recovering so this one has banana, coconut water (both great for replacing electrolytes), pineapple (anti inflammatory), vanilla vega powder and spinach (alkaline!).


My second meal needed to be light since I was not feeling like ingesting anything after that smoothie so I made another hydrating drink by blending watermelon with the juice of 1/2 lemon (also super alkaline!) and had some plums and seaweed snacks.


Dinner was a ton of veggies with hummus and stuffed grape leaves. 

And since most of you put in the request, here's 2 of my 3 tattoos. I don't have a pic of the third.


This was my second tattoo and the only decent pic I have of it. It's cherry blossoms in wind and pretty large as you can tell :) 


I have this little guy on the inside of my left foot. It's pretty small and I love it :) A little bit of bad ass I guess. 

My third one (the first on I got actually) is a hibiscus flower on the back of my ankle.

OK guys I'm super tired and am ready to relax so the party must end here. I'm bummed that I had such a bad experience this morning (and all day actually) but maybe Vinyasa will work out better for me.

I hope you all had a good day!

21 comments:

  1. Aww so sorry to hear you had such a bad time of it! I remember my first bikram class and I felt terrible as well. I guess it's all about easing into it! Maybe some vinyasa classes will help you get accustomed to the heat again and then you can give bikram another shot!

    Looks like you were very smart about your eat though and they look tasty :)

    Feel better Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vinyasa classes aren't in a heated room which is why I think it may be better ;) My shoulders HURT today so I'm not convinced Bikram is the way to go. Hopefully the vinyasa will prove to be more beneficial. I think it also fits into my schedule better? We'll see! I think the fact that it's so hard for me to stay hydrated during the summer also made it hard to get through the class.

      Thanks, I tried hard to make every bite count yesterday! Hopefully I can figure it all out soon :)

      Delete
  2. Icky, that sounds awful! Hope you're feeling better by now. I really like your tattoos - the skull guy is hilariously adorable. I can't help but feel like that back one must've been super painful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was pretty brutal lol. feeling ok now, thankfully! Thank you! Haha I love my little skull. Yeah the back one sucked, getting tattooed on the spine and shoulderblades is not fun!

      Delete
  3. oh my gosh, I'm so sorry that you felt so crummy after yoga! I've never done Bikram, but it sounds SO intense! 107 degrees!! yikes! i hope you feel back to your usual soon! and what cool tattoos! i'm to chicken to get a tattoo haha Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done Bikram a lot in my past (the last stint being 4-5x per week for about 5 months) and I've never felt that crappy. It was so weird. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Between the heat you've been experiencing in the weather, and the super hot classroom - you are so brave for going! It sounds like Vinyasa class will be a better fit - temperature and shoulders. Are you still going to physical therapy? I hope you are back to 100% soon!

    The idea of having veggies and hummus for a meal did cross my mind recently, and I totally thought of you! Love both of your smoothies / beverages.

    I don't think I'd seen the Skull and Crossbones one, and you're right - it shows off your bad-ass-ness! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I still can't believe I suffered as much as I did. It has never been that bad for me. oh well. Hopefully the vinyasa class works out! No more physical therapy but I have the exercises and I'll just do them myself. Thanks!

      Haha I think people think of me when they eat stuffed grape leaves and hummus :) Thanks!

      Haha thanks!

      Delete
  5. Aw, love your tattoos! That skull is adorbs. As for hot yoga, count me out! That sounds awful. I did a Native American sweat lodge once, and I was pretty certain I was dying. I nearly fainted when I stepped outside the tent into the cool air. Ugh. But good luck if you decide to stick with it. If not, regular ole non-hot yoga is great too!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bianca! It was pretty horrible and it is 90 minutes so it's like they extend the torture. I was pretty sure they would have to mop me up off the floor at the end of the class. Haha thanks but I think I may be trying some good ol' vinyasa next ;)

      Delete
  6. That's too bad that the yoga class kind of sucked. I don't think I'd like being in a room that hot. :(

    Your cherry blossoms tattoo is beautiful. It would be nice if you could get sleeve tattoos that complement it. And your little skull with hearts is adorable! Can you be an adorable bad ass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah it was pretty horrible. I used to LOVE doing it but I don't know why it's different now. I've also never done it during the summer and the fact that I'm pretty chronically dehydrated is probably a problem.

      Thank you! I think the fall half sleeve will definitely work with it :) Haha I think being an adorable badass is totally doable :)

      Delete
  7. I can't handle the heat in Bikram yoga either - you're not alone!! Don't give up yoga all together - it's awesome in a normal temperature without dizziness and nausea - eeks! Your tattoos are also pretty, makes me want another one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'm just getting old and can't handle the heat anymore :) I'm going to give vinyasa a whirl and see how it goes with my neck and shoulders :) And thank you! tattoos are so addictive!

      Delete
  8. Ugh, that stinks that the class didn't go well for you. :( That's extremely hot! I've been in 110 degree dry heat before and know how draining that can be. I hope you feel better today!

    LOVE your tattoos! I have one on my back in the same place as yours, only smaller (it's an Aries sign). I'd like to do a full back piece someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly I have recovered thankfully :)

      Thank you! I love the upper back for tattoos, you can show it off when you want and you can hide it when you want. I forget I have it and then someone will say something about it and it takes me a second, lol!

      Delete
  9. Good luck with the vinyasa class. I think that will be much better. I took a vinyasa flow yoga class last fall, and it was challenging but it didn't drain me. I always felt better afterward. I hope you're feeling better now. Thanks for showing us your tattoos - very cool to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I used to take a vinyasa class and I loved it, especially because the instructor was really sweet. I haven't taken it at the Bikram place yet so hopefully they'll be good too. Thanks, I'm feeling better :) Thanks, I'm glad you liked them!

      Delete
  10. Are the doors locked in these yoga classes? You couldn't leave? I feel dizzy just reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doors aren't like but it is very highly frowned upon to leave the room. You are supposed to stay in because if you leave you will never get used to the heat. They suggest you sit or lay down if you are feeling dizzy or nauseous. I've taken a lot of Bikram yoga classes in the past and I've NEVER felt that bad before!

      Delete
  11. ugh, sorry you had such a rough time in bikram class! hot yoga sounds like absolute torture. i get overheated/dehydrated easily so i'm sure i wouldn't last 5 minutes. i love your back tattoo -- cherry blossoms are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete