Monday, January 2, 2012

Great Start for 2012!

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a nice Monday and your 2012 is off to a great start :) I had to work this morning but had a chance to rest after before my double training session (an hour and a half). The session was so great, I felt amazing after. It was definitely the perfect way to start the year. We did lots of different exercises, switching from hitting pads, to hitting the bag to circuits to abs to rowing back to abs. He saved the best for last where we did attack/defend drills for 7 - 3 minute rounds where I basically was on offense throwing punches (boxing only) at him while he defended. I kept up for 7 rounds after an hour of training so it felt AMAZING and I was really proud of myself :)

I also learned something that seems pretty obvious but never really noticed until now. Everyone knows that they should not go grocery shopping when they are hungry, but I've learned that the best time for me to go grocery shopping is after a workout. I cleaned up then decided to go shopping tonight so I could relax and get some cooking done tomorrow morning and I realized that I'm far more inclined to walk out with a completely clean grocery haul since I'm feeling good and healthy and energized. We all know how easy it is to sneak little treats in our baskets, but I had zero desire to do so. So, no matter how lazy I'm feeling, I think I'm going to start to do my shopping after a workout :)

Check out what I walked out of Whole Foods with...


Zing brand protein bars in Chocolate Coconut and Cashew Cranberry Orange flavors. They haven't had the Vega protein bars for the past few weeks and I wanted bars with a decent protein count. These have 10g of protein so I took the two vegan flavors I saw to try. I'll let you know how they are when I try them. They are gluten, soy and dairy free.


Veggies - Brussels sprouts, avocados (on sale 4/$5!!), broccoli, zucchini and carrots (I have plans for these carrots, check back tomorrow to see!).


Navel oranges (which I'm currently obsessed with), pink lady apples and bosc pears.


From the fridge I got 2 containers of stuffed grape leaves, replaced my Earth Balance which I FINALLY finished, and some fortified tofu (figured I'd give it a try).

I'm pretty stoked about all of these yummy ingredients I bought! I see some stir fries, a delicious breakfast treat that I plan to make tomorrow and sweet snacks in my future. 

See you tomorrow! Time to figure out dinner :)

13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous stuff. I was pretty tempted by that avo sale too :) I hope the bars are tasty. It's always surprising to see how many varieties are out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, glad to hear you've started off the year on a high note! Exercise is so awesome! I love how I feel after a run or a swim, sounds like your workout was a blast for you!

    All the food look healthy and gorgeous...looking forward to seeing what you make with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the encouragement I needed to read to get myself to yoga class :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great workout! That's a good point in reference to shopping after exercise. I always notice my food choices are better after a nice sweat; next trip to the store will be post-run!

    I had a navel orange today - so glad they're finally in season (I'm a citrus snot)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice haul. I agree about shopping after a work out. Let us know what you think about the Zing bars. The grape leaves are making me hungry. I just got home from a mega workout myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy new year! that last pic reminds me, i need to pick up some more stuffed grape leaves! yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone!!

    Maud - I couldn't resist the avocados. They need to ripen so hopefully they'll get there at different times so they don't get overripe :X I hope the bars are good too! It is hard to find a good vegan protein bar with a decent amount of protein. 10g is pretty good and the flavors sound yummy.

    Rose - Thank you :) I feel like such a nerd but I really do love my workouts. It feels great to feel that sense of accomplishment. I can't wait to show you what I make!

    Brittany - Aww yay! I love yoga, I miss my classes at the gym :( I'm sad they got canceled and I really need to start practicing at home. The stretching helps alleviate the discomfort from my pinched nerves.

    Ingrid - Let me know if you see the difference if you go shopping after a workout. I'm a total citrus freak I'm surprised I don't sweat orange juice at the gym.

    Nikki - Right on! I'll definitely post about the Zing bars when I try them :)

    Sara - Yum indeed! I really want to try making my own one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great grocery haul and it sounds like you had amazing workout! How long have you been working with someone?

    That's a great idea to shop after working out because you're absolutely right- one is much more inclined to eat healthy then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Molly - I've been training with a trainer for the better part of 4 years (with one 4 month break in there) 2-3 times a week. It is a huge investment but it is one of the few investments I make on myself but it is worth it. I've been working with my current trainer for about a year and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's awesome that you do that for yourself. It's definitely money well spent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree. I love every minute of my investment :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never thought about shopping after exercising. I'm usually so sweaty and gross that all I want to do is jump into the shower. Shield your eyes (and nose) from my stinkiness!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What is it about the Navel Oranges that you are obsessed with? Mr. SV got a crate as a gift for Xmas and I've been peeling them for him. They don't impress me much.

    ReplyDelete