Sunday, February 26, 2012

Some Meals and Groceries!

Hey everyone! Hope you have all been well. I'm sorry my posts have been sporadic this week, I ended up getting really really busy and just haven't had a chance to post anything. I've been taking pics when I can so I have a few meals to catch up on here. Nothing really new or crazy but great eats nonetheless.


Pina colada green smoothie. It has been making a regular appearance :)


Rice and beans with mixed veggies.


Stuffed grape leaves, carrots and hummus.


Avocado on toast with some grapes.


Steamed brown rice topped with steamed broccoli, eggplant and tofu drizzled with a little spicy garlic sauce.

In addition there has been no shortage of salads, other smoothies and raw treats that I just didn't get a chance to photograph.

I went grocery shopping this morning and was pretty excited about my haul. I started at Trader Joe's and as I started to realize how much cheaper things are there I started to stock up on pantry staples and new treats. Then I went to Whole Foods for produce because it is just top quality there.


My Trader Joe's haul! 2 containers stuffed grape leaves ($3 cheaper per container), Mediterranean hummus (my fav  hummus ever!), frozen organic raspberries and pineapple, a HUGE bag of gluten free oats ($3 cheaper and much larger than at Whole Foods), organic green tea, raw almond butter, coconut water (for a new take on the pina colada smoothie!), toasted seaweed snacks, popcorn kernels for the air popper, fruit leathers for a quick snack, teeny tiny potatoes, brown rice tortillas and 2 pure bars.


Produce from Whole Foods. 2 white grapefruits, 2 red grapefruits, some oranges, 2 avocados, an english cucumber and a ton of carrots. I also got a few things from the prepared section which I'll show you when I eat it.


I also found these chips which looked interesting! Check out those flavors: spinach and garlic, red beet and onion, and carrot, tomato and sesame flavor. I see these being awesome with hummus or guacamole!

So that's a little of what I've been eating the past few days as well as what can be expecting in the upcoming week :) I think the massage may be put on hold for now because there is still a lot that I need to get done but it'll happen sooner or later.

Hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend! I'm excited to finally relax for a bit!

10 comments:

  1. Did I miss the post where you said what you do to make a pina colada green smoothie? I want to know! Looks great! Smoothies for the winning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted the recipe here:

      http://thisiswhatieatvegan.blogspot.com/2012/02/new-day-new-attitude.html

      Let me know if you try it, I'd love to know what you think!

      Delete
  2. Something about that rice, eggplant, and broccoli dish looks really, really appetizing.
    Sounds like you picked up some really good stuff at both WF and TJ. I haven't been to TJ in a while just because I always need like one specialty item that I can only get at WF but I hate to have to make two trips, especially since I usually only grocery shop on my lunch breaks at work. Plus, the stuff I'm really after - the produce - is, like you say sooo much better at Whole Foods. Albeit pricey.
    You're reminding me I need to pick up some grapefruit soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rice dish was really clean and delicious. The simplest meals are always the most appetizing I find.

      I rarely go to TJ...maybe once a month? I think that is why I stocked up so much on this trip. The hummus lasts a while but I got two so it'll last even longer (I think only one found its way into the photo). All of the stuff I get there lasts a while and I make weekly trips to WF (either once or twice depending on my produce situation). They are only one exit apart on the parkway so it's not too far out of the way and I prefer to go early anyway so it's no big deal.

      Looking forward to my grapefruit tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. Great haul! There's a Trader Joes in Milwaukee, but we have yet to go to it. We tried once and it was so packed that we just left without even looking around.

    That smoothie is such a vibrant green. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly why I go at the crack of dawn! I hate shopping with crowds so when I go really early on a Sunday morning I typically only share the store with a few people. I'm greedy like that ;)

      The smoothie is amazing! I see it happening again tomorrow :)

      Delete
  4. Pina Colada smoothie is absolutely happening this week. Love the veggie / rice / tofu bowl at dinner!!

    I really wish Trader Joe's would come to Colorado. There's been a rumor that one is coming to Boulder, which is 45 minutes away. In the meantime, a place called Sunflower Market is pretty reasonable, although not nearly as awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I can't wait to see how you like it! It's pretty sweet but it is so good! The veggies/tofu and rice was really good!

      I think Trader Joe's should open in every city. I always just assume it exists everywhere and then I realize it isn't and it is a major bummer. I always feel really lucky that I am in close proximity to a lot of really great stores like multiple WFs and TJs as well as smaller specialty stores. I take it for granted and I shouldn't.

      Delete
  5. I may be a shade of green. I'm so jealous of your whole foods and trader joes shopping! Australia feels so far away sometimes. Hopefully one day we'll catch up! But until then I shall enjoy the array of foods I do have access to and feel blessed I have a roof over my head (it's pissing down with rain) and the luxury of being a well fed vegan.
    Hope you enjoy your down time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Claire! I bet you have a ton of amazing food and stores that we don't have access to and we would be really jealous of. I would love to see some groceries that you come home with. I bet you have some great produce too :)

    ReplyDelete